Chocolate, Almond, Honey Upside-down CakeMay 1, 2013
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Nestle)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter (unsalted, softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice (let it sit for at least 5 minutes)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- More butter for pan
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees (pro of being in the states again - I can use Fahrenheit without getting strange looks muahaha.)
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt a lot so that it's extra light.
3. Beat the butter until smooth and fluffy, then add the sugar.
4. Add eggs (one at a time)
5. Continue beating until light and fluffy (2, 3... maybe 4 minutes)
6. While mixing, add 1/3 of the dry ingredients then 1/2 of the milk, then another 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then the other half of the milk, then the last 1/3 of the dry ingredients...got that? mix until smoooooth and taste some of the batter because you are probably hungry by now.
7. To prepare the topping, generously (I mean generously) butter the pan.
8. Pour in the melted butter and swirl it around the bottom. Sprinkle in the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Then add the honey.
9. Sprinkle evenly with the slivered almonds.
10. Pour in the delicious cake batter.
11. Bake the cake for 45 minutes (do the knife-comes-out-clean trick to make sure its baked!)
12. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert it onto a plate - let it sit there (with the pan and all) for at least 5 minutes so the topping can sink in.
Now that you're done, you can enjoy it with strawberries and cream :). That wasn't so hard, was it?